PRIVACY AND COOKIES
Evans Estate Agents takes data privacy seriously. Please read this privacy and cookies policy carefully to understand why data is being collected and what we do with that data once in our possession. Further information about data privacy may be found in our terms of business document.
What type of information will we collect from you?
The personal information we collect will depend on the nature of the services we are providing and what we are contracted to do for you. Typically this might include the following:
- Contact details (including your name, address, date of birth, and email address)
- Photographic identification and proof of address documents (to carry out due diligence)
- Details of visits to our website (which enable our website to remember information about you and your preferences). Please see the sections on Cookies and Analytics and Anonymisation below for further details.
On what basis can we process your information?
Our reasons for processing your personal data are as follows:
- It is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party, or to take steps prior to entering into a contract with you. The retainer between you and us, which is made up of our terms of business and engagement letter, sets out the terms of the contract and the services we will provide.
- It is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests, except where our interests are overridden by the interests, rights or freedoms of affected individuals (such as you). To determine this we shall consider a number of factors, such as what you were told at the time you provided your data, what your expectations are about the processing of the data, the nature of the data, and the impact of the processing on you.
- It is necessary in order to comply with mandatory legal obligations to which we are subject under EU or UK law.
What are we going to do with your information?
We will hold and use personal information about you to:
- Verify your identity and establish the source of funding in any transaction.
- Carry out appropriate anti-fraud checks (by conducting online searches using a third party identity provider). Please note that this will not affect your credit rating.
- Communicate with you during the course of providing our services, for example providing you with advice and dealing with your enquiries and requests.
- Statistical purposes so we can analyse figures to help us manage our business and plan strategically for the future.
- Respond to any complaint or allegation of negligence against us.
- Prevent money laundering or terrorist financing in accordance with financial crime regulations.
How long we keep your data for
We will only retain your information for as long as is necessary to:
- Carry out the estate agency work
- Establish or defend legal claims (for example negligence claims) that could be made against us.
- Comply with legal obligations under EU/UK law (anti-money laundering regulations say your identification and source of funds information must be kept for a minimum period from conclusion of the matter).
We will keep your data in accordance with our data retention and erasure policy, a copy of which is available on request.
Who your information will be shared with
- We may, when required and necessary, share your personal data with other organisations. Depending on the work we are undertaking for you the other organisations may include:
- Our ‘data processors’ who are contractors from whom we obtain operational services including IT support, message-taking and secure document storage and shredding.
- Other ‘data controllers’ that provide professional or commercial services, such as other estate agents, solicitors, financial advisers and energy performance assessors.
- The Solicitors Regulation Authority and the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
All of the above are located in the UK.
Security of your data
Your data will be held on secure servers within the European Economic Area ("EEA") with all reasonable technological and operation measures put in place to safeguard it from unauthorised access. Where possible any identifiable information will be encrypted or minimised.
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites you visit. Cookies help make this website work and provide information to us about how users interact with our site. We use this information to improve our website.
The cookies we use help to provide us with anonymised, aggregated technical information. This is principally so that we can make sure that the website is easy to navigate, identify the areas that are of particular interest to visitors and generally improve the site and our services. The information that we collect in this process will not identify you as an individual. We do not seek to identify individual visitors unless they volunteer their contact details through one of the forms on the site. In some circumstances our records will identify organisations visiting our site and we may use that information in managing our relationship with those organisations, for example, in considering how to develop the services that we offer them.
By using our website you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.
When you accessed this website our cookies were sent to your web browser and stored on your computer. If you wish to remove them, you can manage this via the settings on your browser, but note that this may impact your ability to utilise this and other web sites. The way to clear cookies varies from one browser to another. You should look in the "help" menu of your web browser for full instructions. For your reference, please click the following links for details on how to manage cookies in each of the major web browsers:
- Internet Explorer (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/278835)
- Firefox (http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cookies-remove-info-websites-stored)
- Chrome (http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95647)
- Opera (http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/security/privacy/)
- Safari (http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5042)
- Safari for iPad and iPhone (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1677)
Analytics and anonymisation
Get in touch
Call us on 0121 477 7589 or send us a message...